The Best Repair Shop in Bellingham to Fix a High-Pressure Fuel Pump Failure in a BMW
Posted on May 13, 2022 by Keith Cox
The failure of the high-pressure fuel pump is a regular problem among BMW owners. The high-pressure fuel pump is a part of your car that injects fuel into your engine’s combustion chamber, allowing it to run more efficiently.
Failure of the fuel pump results in a shortage of fuel in the engine due to the engine’s design. In this article, we’ll take a look at some of the reasons for fuel pump failures in your BMW, the symptoms, and ultimately, how to avoid it in your BMW.
What causes the failure of a high-pressure fuel pump?
The failure of your high-pressure fuel pump can have a considerable impact on the performance of your car. When the high-pressure fuel pump system fails, it is usually because of one or more of these reasons:
- The injector pump has a leak: Due to the high pressure that is created when fuel is injected directly into the fuel pump, there is a greater potential of a leak. As a result of the carbon buildup, these leaks will cause the engine to malfunction.
- Low oil quality: Using oil types that differ from the manufacturer’s recommendations can potentially cause the high-pressure fuel pump to fail. This is because the quality of the oil can influence the rate at which the fuel pump wears out.
- Inadequate oil changes: If you don’t change the oil in your BMW frequently enough, the friction between the camshaft and the lobes will grow. The friction increases when the oil levels are too low.
- Solenoid failure: In a high-pressure fuel pump, a solenoid is employed to control the volume. It accomplishes this by relocating the pump’s port. When this doesn’t happen, the pressure in the fuel pump drops, leading the pump to fail.
Symptoms of a Failed High-Pressure Fuel Pump
Given below are vital signs that can indicate your BMW has a failed high-pressure fuel pump.
- Power Loss: When traveling uphill or carrying large loads, you may lose power or have difficulties accelerating, which is an indication that your fuel pump is failing. This will also use more fuel than is necessary, which can quickly add up to be more expensive than simply repairing or replacing the problematic parts.
- Engine failure: Your high-pressure fuel pump may have failed completely if your engine cranks but won’t turn over. This means the engine will not be able to run since no gasoline will be injected into it.
- Heaving during acceleration: A surge occurs when your car abruptly jerks forward without you pressing the gas pedal, or lunges ahead disproportionately to how much you press the gas pedal. The failure of the high-pressure gasoline pump causes this. When this happens, the fuel pump injects gasoline into the engine wrongly, causing combustion to begin at an inopportune moment or at a strange rate. These surges have the potential to be exceedingly harmful and should be investigated promptly by a professional mechanic.
- Poor Fuel Economy: If your BMW’s high-pressure gasoline pump fails, it may cause it to consume more fuel. You’ll find that you’re filling your petrol tank more frequently than usual. A faulty fuel pump might cause the engine to stutter or delay when accelerating.
- Engine Knocking Noises: Engine knocking noises are another common indication. When the weather is cool, these noises are more common.
- Limp Mode is On: Limp mode is a safety feature that protects the engine from damage. When your BMW detects a problem with the gasoline pump, the feature can be activated to let you to get to a safe location and call for a tow.
Allow Us To Repair Your BMW
Keith Cox Autobahn in Bellingham, Washington is a certified BMW repair shop specializing in high-end European automobile models and BMWs. When it comes to fuel pump failures or any other issues your automobile might have, our mechanics will provide the best quality workmanship in the area!
From repairs to replacements to rotations and tune-ups, we are uniquely qualified to manage every concern with every high-end vehicle. At Keith Cox Autobahn, we utilize factory-grade tools and technology to finely tune and maintain your BMW to the highest standards. Allow us to get you back on the road safely, whether you need tires, shocks, brakes, an alignment, or major repairs. Call us today!