Where to Go in Bellingham to Replace the Oxygen Sensor in an Audi
Posted on July 15, 2021 by Keith Cox
A common issue we see at Keith Cox Audubon is failed oxygen sensors in Audis. As Audi adds more sensors and technology to newer models, we see more sensor failure.
Oxygen sensors are found in the exhaust system and are used to measure oxygen levels. The information they gather helps determine the proper air-to-fuel ratio your Audi needs to function properly. If the oxygen sensor fails, your engine can get too much oxygen or not enough. This will decrease the performance of your Audi and increase emissions. It puts your engine and the catalytic converter at risk of experiencing damage.
Symptoms of a Bad Oxygen Sensor in Your Audi
If your Audi has a bad oxygen sensor, it needs to be replaced immediately. The sensor is critical for engine performance, fuel economy, and improved emissions. Continued driving with a failing oxygen sensor can cause additional damage and higher service bills. If you have an older Audi, you should have the oxygen sensors tested.
Below are some common symptoms of a bad oxygen sensor:
- Rough Idle: When the oxygen sensor begins to fail, you may experience rough idling. This rough idle happens because your engine is not getting the proper air-to-fuel ratio. Your Audi may also stall, hesitate, or backfire.
- Rotten Egg Smell: If there is a smell of rotten eggs coming from your Audi, there is an issue with the fuel system. This could be due to a failing oxygen sensor.
- Reduced Gas Mileage: When the oxygen sensor fails, your Audi will begin to burn more fuel. This is because your engine is not getting the proper air/fuel ratio. If you are filling up your gas tank more often than usual, you may have a faulty oxygen sensor.
- Illuminated Check-Engine Light: The check-engine light is there to tell you when the computer has recognized a problem. If the oxygen sensor is experiencing issues, it should trigger the warning light. There are countless problems that can trigger this indicator. If your light is illuminated, have us perform a diagnostic scan to find the cause.
- Emission Test Failed: Your Audi may not show any symptoms of a faulty oxygen sensor. The only way you may find out there is a problem is when your vehicle fails an emission test. There are several states that require the test. This test helps to keep cars off the road that are producing too much carbon emissions.
When to Replace the Oxygen Sensor
Oxygen sensors are not a component of the vehicle that are replaced during regular maintenance. However, they do wear out and need to be replaced from time to time. We often recommend that you have the sensors replaced if your vehicle is 15 years or older or every 60,000 to 90,000 miles. When you have the sensor replaced, you can see an increase in fuel mileage and cut down pollution.
Choose Keith Cox Autobahn Your Audi Service Needs
If you are in the Bellingham area, let us take care of all your Audi service needs. Our technicians are experts in their field and strive to provide the best service around.
Benefits of Hiring Keith Cox Autobahn:
- We are German automobile specialists
- Standard light bulbs are replaced for free with installation
- Affordable dealership alternative
- Advanced equipment
- No-hassle warranty
- We will wash and vacuum your vehicle
- Free loaner cars when major work is performed
- Thorough cost estimates
- Shuttle services to and from our shop
- Expert staff
- Complimentary $5 Woods Coffee card
- We check your oil and fluid levels and top them off at no extra charge
- We offer a 36-month or 36,000 mile warranty
Do not ignore any symptoms of a failing oxygen sensor. A bad sensor can cause damage to other components and ruin your gas mileage. At Keith Cox Autobahn, we are here to help you with all your Audi service needs.
Our service center is conveniently located in Bellingham, WA. Call us today to book your appointment. You can reach us on (360)-733-2721 or stop by our shop at 1814 Ellis Street, Bellingham, WA. We look forward to becoming your automotive service center for all your car care needs.