Top Reasons to Fix the Oil Leaks in Your BMW by the Expert Mechanic of Bellingham
Posted on March 23, 2021 by Keith Cox
BMWs are safe and dependable vehicles that provide outstanding performance. Drivers know that they need to stay on top of maintenance to get the best out of their BMW. Without maintenance, you may experience an oil leak.
Your BMW’s engine is a complex machine composed of several parts. These are constantly under stress. For your engine to function properly, it needs oil, which lubricates the moving parts and absorbs heat. Without the oil, the friction between the components will cause damage and excess heat.
Driving with an oil leak can be dangerous. The leak could cause a fire, and you may also experience engine failure, which could lead to an accident.
Symptoms of an Oil Leak
There are several symptoms you may experience when your BMW has an oil leak. These symptoms include:
- a puddle of oil under your vehicle
- engine overheating
- the smell of burning oil
- smoke coming out from under the hood
- sizzling noises
- the check engine light turns on
Causes of an Oil Leak in Your BMW
Oil is necessary for lubricating the components in the engine. It cools the engine while preventing premature failure. There are many issues that can lead to an oil leak, but most of these issues are preventable with regular maintenance. The majority of oil leaks are produced by damaged oil seals, oil pans, or engine gaskets. Some oil leaks can be easily fixed. While others are caused by major issues.
Common causes of oil leaks in a BMW:
- Oil Filter Issues: Having your oil filter changed during your oil service will help to prevent an oil leak. A dirty filter will get clogged and prevent the oil from flowing properly.
An improperly installed filter can also cause a leak. If the filter is not tight, oil can leak around it. Using the wrong oil filter is another reason for oil leaks.
- Drain Plug Was Not Installed Properly: If the oil leak starts right after an oil change, the plug may not have been installed properly. It may be loose or damaged.
- Loose Filler Cap: An oil leak can occur when the filler cap is not tight. This often occurs after an oil change. A loose cap lets the oil leak out. The oil then runs down the engine.
- Damaged Oil Pan Gasket: Over time the oil pan gasket is subjected to an extreme amount of heat. This will cause the gasket to fail over time. When it fails, it will not be able to hold the oil in.
- Valve Gasket Seal: The valve gasket seal will eventually wear out. If your BMW has high mileage, the seal could have failed.
- Rear Main Seal: The rear main seal is located between the crankshaft and flywheel. This component is more susceptible to failure if you skip oil changes or rarely drive your car.
Preventing Oil Leaks in Your BMW
Preventative maintenance is the best way to prevent oil leaks. Oil can break down as it ages and become contaminated. Dirty oil will lead to component damage. Changing the oil regularly will help extend the life of your engine. It is important that you follow your vehicle’s maintenance schedule. Doing so will extend the life of your car and prevent oil leaks.
Regular oil changes have many benefits, including:
- removes contaminated oil
- extends the life of your engine
- increases your gas mileage
- provides proper lubrication
- helps keep the engine and its components cool
- protects the environment by reducing pollutants
Keith Cox Autobahn Will Fix Your Oil Leak
There are many products on the market that claim to fix oil leaks. We do not recommend that you try these products. In some instances, these products can be a temporary solution but they cannot fix the root cause of the problem. The oil leak will return, and the problem will still need to be fixed. Continuing to drive your BMW without taking care of the source can lead to more issues and higher service bills.
Instead, call our professionals at Keith Cox Autobahn. We will diagnose your oil leak and make the necessary repairs to your BMW. Our service center is conveniently located in Bellingham, WA. Call us today to schedule your appointment. We can handle all your BMW service and repair needs. Allow us to earn your business for your BMW needs.